Qatar Tourism has launched a new stopover holiday campaign featuring David Beckham to support the country’s tourism goals and its ambition to attract more than six million visitors a year by 2030. The campaign reveals the full adventure of Beckham’s action across the country over the course of 48 hours, showing how Qatar offers visitors everything from cultural highlights to scenic landscapes.
Led by passionate locals, Beckham discovers the country as he explores the winding spice markets of Souq Waqif, soaks up local street art, cooks tacos with local flavors, camps in the desert and visits the surroundings of Doha by motorbike.
Commenting on the campaign launch, Qatar Tourism Chairman and Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said: “It was a pleasure to welcome David to Qatar, where he immersed himself in culture and experienced firsthand the warm hospitality of our people. I encourage the millions of people who pass through Qatar every year to follow in David’s footsteps and create their own exciting adventure and memories. We have something for everyone at an incredible price, whether it’s sun, sea and sand, rich heritage and culture, surprising nature or a city break modern and fun.”
David Beckham said: “Qatar surprised me with a wide range of great experiences that you can have in just 48 hours. The people are warm and welcoming, and it’s a great place to spend a few days.”
He added: “The people of Qatar are really passionate about their culture and the mix of modern and traditional creates something really special. I saw so much on my trip from spice markets to museums to a motorbike ride which was one of the highlights.”
With over 80% of the world’s population within a six-hour flying time of Qatar, this campaign shows how Qatar is a great place to turn a stopover into a mini-break. Through this campaign, Qatar Tourism seeks to raise awareness of the best stopover packages in the world, offered by Qatar Airways. The campaign will see content on digital advertising, social media channels and the Qatar Tourism website, in addition to being shared by selected partners. The campaign video will also be hosted on Qatar Airways’ Oryx in-flight entertainment system.
During his tour in Qatar, David Beckham went on an adventure with the following people:
- Chef Noor Al Mazroei, head of Rosado Café, took David to visit the spice market at Souq Waqif
- Saad Ismail Al Jassim, one of Qatar’s last legendary pearl divers, gave David a lesson in the country’s historic primary pearl industry, before the discovery of oil and gas.
- Abdulaziz Yousef, a Qatari artist, showed David around the Souq Waqif art center
- Chef Aquiles Chaves, guest chef and Mexican TV personality, helped David cook fused tacos with Qatari flavors
- Sheikha Reem Al Thani, Acting Deputy General Manager of Exhibitions and Marketing and Director of Centralized Exhibitions at Qatar Museums (QM), accompanied David as he explored one of Qatar’s most iconic museums.
- Khalid & Majid, Qatari falcon trainers, welcomed David to a desert camp near Khor Al Adaid, also known as the Inland Sea
- Saeed Al Sulaiti, Qatar’s motorcycling champion, rode with David around The Pearl-Qatar, a man-made island with colorful shops, hotels and residential neighborhoods
- Qatari filmmaker Hamida Issa Al Kuwari guided David through Katara Cultural Village, Qatar’s must-visit destination for art, food and culture
- Khalid Al Hamadi, Qatari dhow and marine expert, accompanied David aboard a traditional wooden dhow
For media inquiries, please contact the Qatar Tourism press office at:
About Qatar Tourism
Qatar Tourism’s mission is to make Qatar a place where cultural authenticity meets modernity and where people from all over the world come together to experience unique offerings in culture, sports, business and family entertainment. , rooted in service excellence. Qatar Tourism will regulate and develop the tourism industry, encouraging private sector investment. It will define the national strategy for the tourism sector, review it periodically and oversee its implementation, with the aim of diversifying the tourism offer in the country and increasing visitor spending. Through our network of international offices in priority markets and our state-of-the-art digital platforms, Qatar Tourism expands Qatar’s presence globally and enhances the tourism industry.