- Influencers frequently share links to their Instagram stories or under their YouTube videos.
- These links are often affiliate links that allow creators to earn a commission on sales.
- We spoke with the creators about the money they make from affiliate marketing.
- See more stories on the Insider business page.
These “swipe-ups” and stickers on Instagram stories or links under a YouTube video are not all for the convenience of the viewer – they represent the number of influencers making money.
When a person makes a purchase on a website after clicking on a trackable link or using a specific code, the influencer who posted it can earn a commission on that sale in what’s called affiliate marketing. .
Influencers often use affiliate marketing as a way to earn income outside of sponsored posts or video ad revenue. It’s also a way for emerging “nano” and “micro” influencers (with between 1,000 and 100,000 subscribers) to start making money and working with sponsors as content creators.
How profitable affiliate marketing is for an influencer depends on several factors, such as size, engagement, and industry. It also depends on the commission rates of the brands and platforms put in place.
For example, some financial influencers can make a decent portion of their income from affiliate links alone. They could work with
like Robinhood or Acorns.
Learn about the amount of money fundraising apps and businesses pay influencers through affiliate marketing
Personal finance influencer Tori Dunlap told Insider she made over $ 200,000 in eight months.
But finance is not the only well-paid category.
Skin care influencer Vi Lai recently said she makes over $ 5,000 a month from affiliate links, and a few other influencers say they’re making a few hundred dollars here and there.
From brands like Amazon to affiliate marketing platforms like LTK or MagicLinks, there are many ways influencers can earn commission by promoting products on social media.
Here are 9 Top Platforms Influencers Use To Make Money From Affiliate Links
Some influencers have even started texting their followers with links to their favorite products to drive sales. And platforms like Instagram are also tapping into this space with their own native affiliate marketing programs.
Learn more about Instagram’s Affiliate Beta Test and how much influencers earn
Insider spoke to many influencers and industry experts on Affiliate Marketing. Here’s a look at what they told us they won.
How Much Money Do Influencers Make Using Affiliate Marketing?
We spoke with a handful of influencers about how they incorporate affiliate links into their content. Several have detailed their monthly income. They ranged from around $ 50 per month to over $ 25,000 per month.
Here’s how much money 8 creators make from their affiliates:
- Tori Dunlap, a personal finance influencer on TikTok with 1.7 million followers
- Ryan Scribner, a personal finance YouTuber with 737,000 YouTube subscribers
- Vi Lai, a skincare influencer with 849,000 followers on TikTok and 180,000 on Instagram
- Charlie Chang, a YouTube creator with 457,000 subscribers who posts personal finance and real estate content
- Charli Prangley, a part-time YouTube creator with around 200,000 subscribers
- Erika Kullberg, lawyer and YouTube creator with 200,000 subscribers
- Kayla Compton, a “nano” lifestyle influencer with 4,600 YouTube subscribers and 2,700 Instagram subscribers